UMBC is the new host for Maryland’s premier leadership development program for middle and high school students
Annapolis, Md. (January 22, 2018) – Maryland Leadership Workshops, a division of Leadership Maryland, announces that registration for its Summer 2018 programs is now open for middle and high school students. The organization also announces the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) as the new host for the summer curriculum.
“We are very excited to bring our 2018 Summer programs to UMBC, and offer our delegates the opportunity to experience life on this diverse campus,” said Anita Durall Anderson, Executive Director, Maryland Leadership Workshops. “Dr. Freeman Hrabowski, UMBC president, is an inaugural member of our parent organization, Leadership Maryland, which made this partnership yet another fortuitous opportunity to promote integration between our organizations.”
“It is important that we give students the tools to be successful and empowered at a young age. My work with Leadership Maryland afforded me a firsthand look at the impact programs like this can have, and I am delighted that UMBC will be helping to extend the workshops’ reach,” said Freeman A. Hrabowski, III ’93, president, UMBC.
Maryland Leadership Workshops offers five peer-led, week-long residential programs that empower and inspire middle and high school students to succeed and be more engaged in their schools and communities:
- Middle School Experience in Leadership (July 22-28, 2018): For students entering grades 6-8 in Fall 2018. Students begin to develop their individual leadership skills and learn how to identify and take advantage of opportunities for leadership in their schools and communities.
- Bridge (July 15-21, 2018): For experienced student leaders entering grades 8 or 9 in 2018, who are ready for more intensive training and practice prior to entering Senior High Workshops.
- Senior High Workshop (July 29 – August 4, 2018): For students entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2018. A fun, challenging, inspiring, and fulfilling week-long experience for teens that helps them develop leadership skills needed to succeed in diverse environments.
- Advanced Leadership Seminar (July 15-21, 2018): For high school students who have attended Senior High Workshop or have completed an equivalent program/leadership experience. This program challenges students to re-examine themselves as individuals and leaders through innovative workshops crafted according to their unique needs, individual goal setting and a culminating project focused on real-world application of leadership skills.
- Journey (July 15-21, 2018): For Howard County girls entering 8th or 9th grade in Fall 2018. Support for this program has been provided by the Women’s Giving Circle, a fund of the Community Foundation of Howard County. At this unique program, each student identifies her own leadership skills, strengths, and weaknesses in a supportive and fun environment, which fosters increased self-esteem and confidence.
Each program offers a supportive and fun environment to foster increased independence, self-esteem and confidence for a diverse composition of students from around Maryland and the country. Program participants, known as delegates, develop concepts and skills during workshops, group projects, committee responsibilities and small group discussion sessions. Other activities include games, variety shows, dances, and opportunities for delegates to lead activities for their peers.
Registration for the Summer 2018 programs is available online at www.MLW.org. Registration closes on May 15, 2018. Scholarships are available. For more information, please contact Anita Durall Anderson at 301-444-8623.